Habaneros are one of the hottest chillies in the world, with a heat rating of 100,000 to 350,000 Scoville units. That's hotter than the jalapeño, the cayenne pepper, and even the mighty ghost pepper! But don't let the heat scare you off - habaneros have a delicious fruity and floral flavour that makes them a favourite of chilli lovers everywhere.
Here are some fun facts about habanero chillies that will make you want to grab a bottle of our chilli honey! -
- They come in different colours - Most people think of habaneros as being bright red, but they can also be yellow, green, brown or even black. Each colour has a slightly different flavour profile, so try them all and find your favourite.
- They're named after Havana - Habanero chillies are believed to have originated in Cuba, and they were named after the capital city, Havana. Some people even call them "Cuban peppers" or "Havana peppers."
- They're part of the nightshade family - Habaneros are in the same family as tomatoes, potatoes, and aubergines. That means they're technically a fruit, not a vegetable.
- They're great for your health - Habaneros are packed with vitamins and minerals, including vitamin C, vitamin A, and potassium. They're also high in capsaicin, the compound that gives them their heat, which has been shown to have anti-inflammatory and pain-relieving properties.
- They're used in all kinds of dishes - Habaneros are a staple in many Latin American and Caribbean cuisines, but they're also used in dishes from around the world. You can find them in everything from salsas and marinades to soups and stews.
- They can be addictive - Some people say that eating habanero chillies is like a drug - once you start, you can't stop! The heat triggers the release of endorphins, which can give you a natural high.
- They're not for everyone - Let's be honest - habaneros are not for the faint of heart. If you're sensitive to spicy food, you might want to stick with something milder. But if you're a chillihead, grab a bottle of our chilli honey and see if you're up for the challenge!
So there you have it - some facts about why we chose the habanero chilli for our hot honey. Whether you're adding our chilli honey into your favourite dishes or daring your friends to try a spoonful, our chilli honey is a delicious and exciting addition to any food lover's arsenal. Just be sure to have plenty of milk on hand!
Be sure to also checkout all the interesting ways you can use our chilli honey here!